Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Woke up new...

... I felt free and I felt lonely and I felt scared.


(That coffee said Obama when I ordered it. It was an Obama latte. All smiles)

We have a new president, and I was too tired last night from volunteering around Chicago with various organizations dedicated to increasing immigrant voter participation to care.

This morning, however, I woke up new. And I felt bright and energized all at the same time. This is an incredible moment to live through. I am happy to have seen it.

However, what I took away from from talking to dozens of people, knocking on hundreds of doors, and watching a young organizers command small armies of volunteers* was that it matters more what people are willing to do to fight for their rights than who is president or in congress or what-have-you. Barack Obama is a symbol for millions of people who were hungry to be represented. And while seeing his face brings me satisfaction, seeing the faces of brown people who at one point could not vote or who still cannot vote at present facilitating democracy by begging their families friends and neighbors to visit the polls, that brought me joy and peace.

this is real and not for play,
-kevoutthevote

*to get an idea of where I was starting saturday, googlemap the following: Waukegan, Il, Woodstock, Il, Melrose Park, Il, 1847 W Summerdale, Chicago, Cicero, Il, 2107 N Albany, Chicago, back to Cicero, back to Albany, Waukegan, Il, Madison and Michigan, Chicago, 2020 W 18th, Chicago, 2107 Albany

2 comments:

chewingmedulla said...

I was hoping you'd take the Internet Challenge... and was sad that I hadn't heard from you. In fact, I was inspired to start the challenge when looking at I Like Drinks for the 3rd time in a day and missing you. Sheesh.

Join now!

Don't wait!

I might be a jerk, but at least I'm not a crook!

b

benbos said...

Mebbe you linked me to this blog a long time ago and I forgot, but then Blake linked you and I found you again. So now I can stalk you more.

yay!