Friday, March 28, 2008

The Japanese Just Do it Better

Cartoons, Movies, Cars, Candy, Sexual Fetishes.

Rock and Roll Music

I saw The Boredoms on Tuesday night. Oh. My. god. The show was absolutely incredible.

My ears hurt the following morning, in the best way possible. This band stretched what could be called "American Music" to the limits of my imagination. I fell into a trance at least three seperate times. My friend Justin, who I'm not sure was going to be into it, was in total awe. The music was noise. The noise was music. I have never seen a concert (popular, orchestral, otherwise) that was played with greater precision. It was not the best show I've ever been too, all things considered; however, it might have been the best performed music I have ever witnessed

The band was five members. Eye, lead singer (most of his vocals made use of a delay pedal), played two glowing balls that he held in his fists that made different frequencies depending on what height he held them at. Three drummers. Three...incredible...drummers playing extremely complex rhythms in perfect unison or perfect compliment, depending on the moment. They were all extremely different (homeless looking guy, weird hippie woman, business man on the weekend???), and all absolutely technically proficient. Another guy who was adjusting instruments and running the electronics. He seemed very valuable.

Which brings me to my personal favorite part of the show. 8...fucking...telecasters. WELDED TOGETHER. That's right, it was like those layered organs, but with GUITARS. And no, folks, that's not all. This octo-tar was played with STICKS. Occasionally Eye would step away from his synthesizer grab some drumsticks or something that looked like a broomhandle and whack the thing. It made beautiful sounds. Also, even though it looked like it was being played with reckless abandon, it was always in time with the trio. I think part of the value of the tuning-guy was that he was setting up the guitars to play different chords based on the tunings so there wasn't any fingering involved. Just whack one of the eight sets of six strings, whose chords were all in harmony, and nice things came as a result.

I left the show a little deaf and a lot euphoric. Thank you very much for your fascination with U.S. culture, Japan. You seem like very nice people.

Where's your baby?
-Kafin

1 comment:

Elsabeth said...

Where does one go to see something crazy like this? And do you think the Japanese are as obsessed with US culture as some Americans are with theirs? And are you excited for sectionals?