Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My feelings on country music...

...are pretty simple.

Mostly, i like it.

Especially if it was made in the late-eighties through mid-nineties. These songs are what i cut my musical teeth on. I used to listen to the top-10 at ten-type program on Manhattan, KS' "Hot Country," B104.7 religiously. I would actually call in pretty often. I won a Clay Walker cd one time.

At that point, i felt it was probably going to be one of the greatest moments of my life.

Because of three 14-hour road trips i took along the east coast recently in a truck with loaded with things (pictures later), with a broken tape player i had to listen to radio. Lots and lots of radio. In some parts of rural Virginia, it was only country music. I was totally alright with that.

I definitely thought I was totally alright with that. As it turns out, sometimes I don't like country music. I made a computer drawing about the pretty clear line that separates good from bad country music, in my opinion:



Pretty simple.

I like most everything Allen Jackson has ever recorded. He sings about the country. And simple folks. And drinking by rivers and then later trying to have sex with girls. And sometimes about Mercury automobiles.

Things that pretty much guarantee I won't like a country music song:

Singing about killing someone like you've done it and think other people should too.
Singing about the life of fame that country music has brought you and how tough it is.
T-shirts, short skirts, and creepy boy-stalking.
Autotune.

Thank you, Allen Jackson, for being awesome at country music.

-hot country, kev 104.7

No comments: