Friday, September 10, 2010

5 musical performers...

...that changed my life in the last two years.

So, repeat thought from last week, law school makes it difficult to devote any brainergy at all to thinking, let alone what thoughts might be blog-worthy. And I refuse to make my blog about the life of a "1L" and what it takes to survive. Naw, that ain't me.

A while ago, I thought a little bit about whether and how my taste in music has evolved since I left college. I feel like a lot of people apex during those 3-6 years because there's downtime to think about shit like how you might broaden your musical horizons. More recently, discovery hasn't happened so often, but I feel like when it does, I've come across something important.

List (some with little qualifiers, some with no qualifiers. I am pressed for time, yo).

1)Bo Diddley. (Probably him most of any of them. Dude changed everything about music for me and for the world.)
2) Lil Wayne. (Knew he was good, didn't know how good. Still remember his songs with Birdman from middle school before I knew who he was. The link is non-representative of what I love about him, but it's weird and awesome. Better)
3) The Mountain Goats. (So prolific that even though I've loved him since early in college, every new/old song with new/old lyrics I listen to speaks to me in incredible ways. His new stuff is less big for me, but there's so much old stuff that I'll be listening and learning for some time to come, I think. He's also hilarious.)
4) Dabrye (Shake your ass.)
5) Flat Duo Jets (Thanks, Athens.)

Hopefully someone reading this listens to something from the list and likes it. Even if that doesn't happen, I can be happy knowing that music still matters to me.

-kevolved

No comments: