Friday, December 18, 2009

reading...

...gud. A follow-up-esque thing about schools and why they are depressing sometimes.

Now, there's probably some good stuff going on somewhere. I haven't seen it, though. Therefore, it's difficult for me to describe it.

I was in schools and community after school spaces quite a bit in the last couple of weeks of the semester, wrapping up tutoring programs and collecting forms and all that business. While I was in those schools, I guess I just saw more things that made me frown than things that made me like, "woah, childrenz w/ growing brainz!"

While I was waiting for a kid to get picked up by his parents at the main elementary school I work at (the school refuses to provide transportation for my 24 tutoring kids so their parents, who usually work evenings, end up leaving work to get their kid) I picked up the school news letter and looked over it. The front page blew me away.

The introductory comments of the "Wildcatzette" read:

From the Principal's Desk....

I would like to stress the importance of reading in this month's edition of our newsletter. Reading is the most critical skill that we teach in school. Without reading, none of us would be successful! It's true! How else would your children be able to order off the menu at McDonald's or pick their favorite game to play at Chuck E. Cheese? How would our teachers know what course to take in the summer or how to select the latest best selling novel at Barnes and Noble? Listed below are a few tips for increasing reading at home with your child(ren). Please encourage reading everyday in your house. Your child should be reading at least twenty minutes every night at home.

1 Read aloud to your child every day.
2. Read different types of materials (newspapers, comic books, magazines)
3. Ask questions about what your child is reading.
4. Take your child to the public library.
5. Read for fun!

Sincerely,
Dr. XXX


I imagine something struck you as...vaguely wrong here. The principal has a DOCTORATE. They went to school for SEVERAL YEARS to hold this position. Yeesh.

On a me note, Manhapitan is much suckier when no one you know is in town except for your family. I guess I wasn't great at making friends in high school. Minneapolis will certainly be blast of fresh (cold) air.

-wildkevzette

4 comments:

benbos said...

Do you remember the people who were elementary ed majors in college? At least this one is literate.

chewingmedulla said...

You did make friends in high school.

We're just on a different vacation schedule than you.

Eat some pizza. Drink some drinks. Enjoy delicious coffees.

Read to your child(ren) (siblings) at least 20 minutes every day.

Au said...

i was going to say that maybe the friends you made in high school were just a little too busy to come home, but blake beat me to it.

explore by yourself, if you can. i like mhk that way.

Tink said...

Ohhh, I wish I had seen this before today. I was totally in Manhattan and would have LOVED to have seen you.....

I am WAY behind on my blog reading. Should've used the holidays to catch up instead of staying away.