Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Questlove is someone I never thought much about...

...silly me.

"The other day I heard the new 2 Chainz record," says [Rich] Nichols [The Roots' longtime manager] in Mo' Meta Blues [Questlove's soon to be published memoi]. " And it's a fucking object lesson in thematic narrowness, one dumbass idea repeated over and over again. There's a song called 'Crack!' and then a song called 'Dope Peddler,' right next to each other. Then a little alter there's a song called 'I Luv Dem Strippers.' I'm not knocking 2 Chainz, but what kind of market elevates him like that, at the expense of everything else?"*

What a nice, articulate synopsis of one of the most problematic elements of popular hip-hop music. I think that is a book I would like to read.

It's still my birthday and I still don't know what to do.

-Twenty-kevin

* From Jenna Sauers, A Vibe Called Quest, in The Village Voice (2013).

No comments: