Wednesday, October 7, 2009

i don't....

...know why i read anymore.

Fortunately: I finally found something that was interesting in one of my academic text.

Unfortunately: It only served to upset me and further devalue the topic of study for this graduate course (national intelligence).

According to admiral stansfield turner, former director of central intelligence and intelligence historian, in 1961 the CIA dispatched an agent to execute Congolese Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba. This failed, though, as Lumumba had already been assassinated by political rivals. In turner's estimation, the CIA very likely cooperated in this as well.

I knew about and respected the historical legacy of Lumumba prior to reading this. Either I never knew about the U.S.' involvement in his assassination or I had forgotten about it. Regardless, I am incessantly reminded that the United States is party to projects that result in catastrophe for millions with devastating frequency.

I don't know how to react to this idea...it strikes me that publishing this on an open forum without question undermines any ambition to pursue leadership such that i might change what i despise. The incredible capacity of intelligence to gather information about people almost totally guarantees this (i suppose i owe this knowledge to my class).

i feel gross,
-kevin

No comments: